SLAMF7 May Activate Innate and Adaptive Immunity
- PD-1 Pathway
- CTLA-4 Pathway
- Additional Effector T-Cell
- SLAMF7 Pathway
- Additional NK Cell
- Non-effector Cell
SLAMF7 mobilizes innate immunity through NK cells
Signaling Lymphocytic Activation Molecule Family member 7 (SLAMF7) is an activating receptor. It is expressed on the surface of virtually all Natural Killer (NK) cells and subsets of other immune cells.1 SLAMF7 is not expressed on solid tissues or hematopoietic stem cells.2 Engagement of SLAMF7 activates NK cells, the rapid responders of the immune system and the body’s first line of defense against cancer.3,4 NK cells directly kill target cells, yet spare normal cells.5
NK cell-initiated immune responses are sustained by T cells
Continuous activation of NK cells through pathways like SLAMF7 may initiate the development of long-term immunity.6-8
Ongoing research aims to understand how NK cell activation through SLAMF7 impacts long-term immunity.
Research to further understand these pathways is ongoing.
REFERENCES – SLAMF7 may activate innate and adaptive immunity
- Bouchon A, Cella M, Grierson HL, Cohen JI, Colonna M. Cutting Edge: Activation of NK Cell-Mediated Cytotoxicity by a SAP-Independent Receptor of the CD2 Family. J Immunol. 2001;167(10):5517-5521.
- Hsi E, Steinle R, Balasa B. CS1, a Potential New Therapeutic Antibody Target for the Treatment of Multiple Myeloma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2775-2784.
- Cruz-Munoz ME, Dong Z, Shi X, Zhang S, Veillette A. Influence of CRACC, a SLAM family receptor coupled to the adaptor EAT-2, on natural killer cell function. Nat Immunol. 2009;10(3):297-305.
- Cheng M, Chen Y, Xiao W, Sun R, Tian Z. NK cell-based immunotherapy for malignant diseases. Cell Molec Immunol. 2013;10:230-252.
- Frohn C, Hoppner M, Schlenke P, Kirchner H, Koritke P. Anti-myeloma activity of natural killer lymphocytes. Br J . 2002;119(3):660-664.
- Liu C, Lou Y, Lizée G, et al. Plasmacytoid dendritic cells induce NK cell dependent, tumor antigen-specific T cell cross-priming and tumor regression in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008;118(3):1165-1175.
- Mocikat R, Braumüller H, Gumy A, et al. Natural Killer Cells Activated by MHC Class ILow Targets Prime Dendritic Cells to Induce Protective CD8 T Cell Responses. Immunity. 2003;19(4):561-569.
- Vivier E, Tomasello E, Baratin M, Walzer T, Ugolini S. Functions of natural killer cells. Nat Immunol. 2008;9(5):503-510.